Sub Your Business
There has been a lot of talk recently about the nuclear subs Australia plans to acquire from the US and, eventually, build. Many have questioned the logic behind this decision, particularly given the costs of nuclear submarines.
But what’s interesting is the defence of the project provided by Australia’s leaders. Here is, as I understand it, what they say:
- We’re not seeking to provoke aggressive responses from our neighbours
- We are attempting to protect our national interests
- We are attempting to protect freedom of trade and valuable trading routes in our region
- We’re not leaving our future prosperity to chance
- We are prepared to take decisive action now to protect our future interests and growth
- We want to take responsibility for building our own capacity to protect our interests
- We are open to receive support and to work with our partners
I don’t want to debate the pros and cons of our nuclear strategy, nor am I informed enough about the risks we face. However, I think there are lessons here for business.
As business leaders (whether big business or small), we have our strategic interests. Trade is at the heart of our enterprises and we should be interested in protecting what we value. We want to deliver value to our customers into the future and have relevant answers to their needs and wants.
Just as subs could protect our national trade routes, we need ‘internal subs’ to protect our businesses’ ability to trade in an ever-changing world. What do I mean by ‘internal subs’? I mean change readiness.
Building our change readiness is not an act of aggression towards our competitors. It is a way to protect our long-term interests. It’s a way to ensure our ability to trade in a world driven by change.
Change readiness does not seek to outsource our security, if that is even a thing. It’s about taking responsibility for our own internal capacity to grow and adapt to uncertain times ahead.
If you want to build internal subs for your business, why not consider partnering with us to help you. We are in the change readiness business and we can help you protect what matters most to your business.
Written by Steve Barlow, The Change Gym